Save 20% on your next Cambridge Bioethics and Law online purchase
Page URL: https://www.bionews.org.uk/page_94216

Obesity gene found to increase appetite

22 July 2013
Appeared in BioNews 714

A gene known to be linked to a much higher risk of obesity has been found to affect levels of the hunger hormone ghrelin, according to an international group of scientists.

People with mutations in the FTO gene had higher levels of ghrelin in their blood, which made them feel hungry soon after eating a meal, and could help to explain why they eat more and choose higher-calorie foods.

Everyone has two copies of the FTO gene, and the 16 percent of the population with genetic defects in both copies have a 70 percent higher chance of being obese. Almost half of people have one FTO gene mutation, and are 30 percent more likely to be obese.

Dr Rachel Batterham from University College London, who led the study, explained: 'What this study shows us is that individuals with two copies of the obesity-risk FTO variant are biologically programmed to eat more'. She added: 'Not only do these people have higher ghrelin levels and therefore feel hungrier, their brains respond differently to ghrelin and to pictures of food – it's a double hit'.

The study compared samples of two groups of men of normal weight: one with two copies of the high-risk FTO gene, and the other with two copies of the gene thought to cause low risk of obesity. Although levels of ghrelin usually fall after eating and remove feelings of hunger, blood samples revealed that the hormonal levels rose more quickly after meals in the high-risk patients.

Additionally, a series of brain scans in 24 men showed that these two groups responded differently to pictures of food. Men with the high-risk genes found pictures of higher-calorie foods more appealing than those with the low-risk variation.

Understanding how FTO affects the odds of becoming obese could help patients manage their weight. Dr Batterham said: 'We know that ghrelin, and therefore hunger, can be reduced by exercise like running or cycling or by eating a high-protein diet'.

Professor Steve Bloom from Imperial College London commented on the results, saying: 'Slowly we are discovering the factors which make us overweight and this study, encompassing not only demonstration of a higher level of hunger hormone, ghrelin, but also changes in the brain associated with ghrelin's action, is an important step forward. Already pharmaceutical companies are working on ghrelin antagonists and this will further spur on that effort and perhaps indicate whom best to treat'.

These findings shed some light on why people who have a variation of this gene are more likely to be obese – a question that has been unanswered until now. However, NHS Choices points out that 'this was a small study and the implications of these findings are unlikely to have any immediate impact on solving the obesity problem'.

SOURCES & REFERENCES
A link between FTO, ghrelin, and impaired brain food-cue responsivity
Journal of Clinical Investigation |  15 July 2013
Are you a victim of the hunger gene? It's why many diets fail and millions never feel full
Daily Mail |  15 July 2013
Fat-boosting gene mystery 'solved'
BBC News |  15 July 2013
How 'obesity gene' triggers weight gain
University College London (press release) |  15 July 2013
'Obesity gene' increases appetite
The Telegraph |  15 July 2013
Why 'fat gene' mutation may make you obese
NHS Choices |  16 July 2013
RELATED ARTICLES FROM THE BIONEWS ARCHIVE
7 September 2015 - by Dr James Heather 
Recent findings linking the FTO gene to adipose cell energy use not only revealed a molecular mechanism that contributes to obesity, but they are also an exemplar of how genome-wide association study findings can make the journey to clinical relevance...
24 August 2015 - by Dr James Heather 
Researchers have discovered the mechanism that links variations in the so-called 'obesity gene' FTO to weight gain...
2 June 2014 - by Alice Plein 
A common genetic mutation linked to childhood obesity also increases the likelihood of becoming overweight in adulthood, scientists have discovered. They found the genetic variation also increases impulsive eating as well as a person's appetite for fatty foods...
17 March 2014 - by Dr Rosie Gilchrist 
Scientists have identified a gene called IRX3 which is associated with obesity and may emerge as a serious contender as the most important 'fat gene' yet discovered...
27 January 2014 - by David O'Rourke 
A study on over 57,000 people has revealed a link between five genes and waist-to-hip ratio, one of the most accurate predictors of obesity-related disease and mortality...
11 July 2013 - by Siobhan Chan 
Obese women have a much lower chance of having a baby than those with a normal BMI when using a donated egg, according to a study of almost 10,000 women...
14 January 2013 - by Ruth Retassie 
Genes play a role in weight gain resulting from diets high in fat and sugar content, say scientists...
26 November 2012 - by Dr Nicola Davis 
A gene linked to obesity may also provide protection from major depression, say scientists...
26 March 2012 - by Dr Kimberley Bryon-Dodd 
A mutation in a gene linked to obesity causes mice to eat up to 80 percent more than normal...
19 September 2011 - by Mehmet Fidanboylu 
Scientists in Scotland have discovered a number of genes that are highly expressed in fat tissue and lead to storage of excess fat in mice. The findings, reported in PLoS ONE, could explain why some people carry more weight than others despite sharing similar diets...
HAVE YOUR SAY
Log in to add a Comment.

By posting a comment you agree to abide by the BioNews terms and conditions


Syndicate this story - click here to enquire about using this story.