Genetics Editor: Progress Educational Trust / BioNews
Progress Educational Trust / BioNews
BioNews, c/o Progress Educational Trust, 140 Grays Inn Road, London WC1X 8AX, UK
Salary: £19,500 - £23,000 pro rata depending on experience / qualifications
Closing date: 07/06/2010
BioNews Genetics Editor Dr Gabrielle Samuel has just learned she has been accepted on a PhD course (remarkably, this will be her second PhD). That's great news for her, and potentially great news for you if you're interested in this stimulating role.
The Progress Educational Trust is a UK charity (no 1011897) based in central London. Our fundamental objective is to help create an environment in which ethically sound research and practices in genetic services and assisted conception will thrive. We seek to achieve this by promoting education and informed debate in all issues relating to assisted conception, human genetics and embryo/stem cell research. BioNews is a free web- and email-based digest of news, developments and opinions in these fields. News articles are commissioned in-house, usually on a Friday (or otherwise towards the end of a working week). These articles, as well as commissioned opinion pieces, are collated by the editorial team on or before Monday and published on the BioNews website. A collection of the week's articles, as well as reviews, recommended events/reading and job advertisements, is published in newsletter form on Monday afternoons to BioNews subscribers.
We are looking for someone who is well-organised, self-motivated and who has excellent written and oral communications skills. The successful candidate will work as part of a small team in our London office. A BSc in a genetics-related subject and experience of researching, writing and editing articles for publication are highly desirable for this job.
The main responsibilities for this position include:
1. Upholding standards of clarity and scientific accuracy in all genetics-related articles.
2. Researching, writing and editing articles on human genetics, assisted conception, embryo/stem cell research and related areas of science/policy for BioNews and other publications.
3. Supervising the internship scheme for trainee writers on BioNews, including selecting interns, teaching the internship course and providing both written and oral feedback.
4. Liaising with the team of BioNews volunteer writers and sending out links to news stories each week, with guidance if necessary.
5. Editing and proofreading stories submitted by BioNews volunteer writers, and publishing them on the BioNews website.
5. Sending out the weekly BioNews email newsletters, using our electronic publishing system.
6. Assisting with the selling of advertising space in BioNews.
For further enquiries and/or a full job description, please contact Sarah Norcross, Director of Progress Educational Trust, on 020 7278 7870 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Proposed interview date: 17 June Proposed start date: Early July
How To Apply: